Beaches, Islands and Waterfalls close to Casa Tambor:
(All are local recommendations, locations with less tourism)
“Prainha” is a beautiful and calm beach at the fisher village Praia Grande- a nice local trip! At Praia Grande there’s a little supermarket, bakery, fish shop, bistros and a good restaurant called “Sao Francisco”. Go on the main road BR 101 on the left into the direction of Rio de Janeiro until the sign “Praia Grande”. Go down to the harbor of the village (there’s parking) and take a path (5 min.) to the beach “Prainha”. The beach at the pier with the boats is not proper for swimming.
– distance: 2 km. You can go by car, by bus or walking (30 min. walk)
“Ilha do Araújo” is a beautiful island with beaches and hikes just in front of Praia Grande.
Go to Praia Grande, look for the boat drivers at the pier, they bring you to the island and pick you up at the time you want (costs 20 R$ per person). On the island you can stay at the beach bar or walk on peaceful paths exploring the island and beaches.
Islands around Praia Grande
At Praia Grande you can charter a boat and explore several islands and isolated beaches. Look for the boat driver “Leonardo”. He makes a good job, correct deals and knows gorgeous beaches. Tell him that you stay at Casa Tambor.
“Praia da Rosa” is a beautiful, peaceful and isolated beach – a real insider tip!
Go on the main road into the direction of Paraty. After 500 meter enter the first road on the left. Now walk 1,5 km on a beautiful dirt track until the farm gate of the Cachaçaria Maria Izabela. Take a little path with the sign “praia” on the right of the gate. This path takes 10 minutes and will lead you through luxury properties. Don’t worry, it’s allowed to pass! Go ahead until the beach. It’s a nice trip. The beach is beautiful and deserted. Bring your water and food as there’s nothing to buy.
– distance: 2,5 km. You can go walking (35 min. walk) or by car
“Toca do Pastel” is a viewpoint with Food Bar and access to a local beach. They have a tasty Pastel and a gorgeous view of the bay. Go on the main road on the left into the direction of Rio de Janeiro passing at Praia Grande until you see the location “Toca do Pastel” on your right. You can take a 5 min. path down to a local beach. It’s tiny, beautiful and often lonesome.
– distance: 2,5 km. You can go by bus, by car or walking (35 min. walk)
“Praia do Corumbe” different beaches in the bay of Corumbe with access through restaurants. Go on the main road into the direction of Paraty, go 1 km, passing the first speed camera. You can either enter the first entrance “Bar pão a pique” or the next one “Restaurante Paulinho” or the following “Cheiro de camarão”.
– distance: 1,5 km. You can go by bus, by car or walking (25 min. walk)
“Waterfall Graúna” is a beautiful waterfall with big swimming pool at the rural village Graúna. It’s a different place, with a nice village, gorgeous nature and a peaceful waterfall.
Go on the main road into the direction of Rio de Janeiro. Go 3 km on the main road until the sign “Graúna”. Then turn into the left. Go on 2 km until the village of Graúna. Pass through the village going up to the waterfall. Ask for “Cachoeira”. Park the car and walk for around 10 min.
At Graúna there’s also the spiritual “Ecovila Goura Vrindávana“ which can be visited.
– distance: 6 km. You can go by bus (bus named “Graúna”), by car or walking (1 hour walk)
“Waterfalls Taquari” are beautiful waterfalls with nice hikes in the Sertão do Taquari.
– go on the main road into the direction of Rio de Janeiro. Go 13 km on the main road until the sign “Taquari”. Enter the village to the left and ask for “Cachoeira”. There’re different accesses.
– distance: 13 km. You can go by car or bus (bus named “Taquari”/ “Sao Roque”/ “Mambucaba”)
Restaurants close to Casa Tambor:
(just open during the day)
- Restaurant “Quiosque Sao Francisco” at Praia Grande. Very good fish restaurant in front of the sea. Best choice! Go on the main road into the direction of Rio de Janeiro (2 km) until the sign “Praia Grande”. Go down to the pier. The restaurant is at the right on the harbor beach.
- Restaurant “Paulinho” at the beach Praia do Corumbe with a natural swimming pool. Go on the main road into the direction of Paraty (1,5 km). Pass the first speed camera, go further and look for the sign “Paulinho” on the left. Go down to the beach where is the restaurant. There’s parking.
- Restaurant “Cheiro do Camarão” at the beach Praia do Corumbe. Go on the main road into the direction of Paraty (1,5 km). Pass the first speed camera, go further, pass the entrance of “Paulinho” until the sign “Restaurante Cheiro de Camerão”. Go down to the beach where is the restaurant.
- Restaurant “Pão a Pique” at the beach Praia do Corumbe. Go on the main road into the direction of Paraty (1,5 km) until you come to the first speed camera. After the speed camera turn left into a tinny road. Go in front until the beach. Open just during the weekend.
- Restaurant “Golfinho” on the main road BR 101, right beside our road.
Go down the hill and turn on the right. Walk 100 meter until the restaurant.
- Restaurant “Ditão” on the main road BR 101. Good and cheap. Only one open at night!
Go on the main road into the direction of Paraty (2 km). Pass the first speed camera. Just before the second speed camera there is the restaurant on the right.