Beaches, Islands and Waterfalls close to Casa Tambor:
“Prainha” is a beautiful and calm beach at the fishing village Praia Grande- a nice local trip! At Praia Grande you can find a little supermarket, bakery, fish shop, bistro and a good restaurant called “Sao Francisco”. Go on the main road BR101 on the left in the direction of Rio de Janeiro until the sign “Praia Grande”. Go down to the harbor of the Praia Grande village (there is parking). From Praia Grande, you can take a footpath (5 min.) through a forest to the beach “Prainha”. The beach at the pier with the boats is not ideal for swimming, but Prainha is. – distance from Casa Tambor: 2km. You can go by car, by bus or on foot (30 min. walk)
“Ilha do Araújo” is a beautiful island with beaches and hikes just in front of Praia Grande. Go to Praia Grande and look for the boat drivers at the pier who can bring you to the island and pick you up at an agreed time (R$20 per person). On the island you can stay at the beach bar or walk on peaceful paths exploring the island and beaches.
Islands around Praia Grande. At Praia Grande you can charter a boat and explore several islands and isolated beaches. Look for the boat driver “Leonardo”. He has provides good prices for his tours and knows gorgeous beaches. Tell him that you are staying at Casa Tambor.
“Praia da Rosa” is a beautiful, peaceful and isolated beach – a real insider tip! Go on the main road in the direction of Paraty. After 500m, enter the first road on the left. Walk 1.5km on a beautiful dirt track until the farm gate of the Cachaçaria Maria Izabela. Take a little path with the sign “praia” on the right of the gate. This path takes 10 minutes and will lead you through luxury properties. Don’t worry, you are allowed to pass! Go ahead until the beach. It is a nice trip. The beach is beautiful and deserted. Bring your water and food as there is nothing to buy at the beach.- distance from Casa Tambor: 2.5km. You can go pn foot (35 min. walk) or by car.
“Toca do Pastel” is a viewpoint with a Food Bar and has access to a local beach. They have tasty Pastel and a gorgeous view of the bay. Go on the main road to the left in the direction of Rio de Janeiro passing Praia Grande until you see the location “Toca do Pastel” on your right. You can take a 5 min. path down to a local beach. It is tiny, beautiful and often deserted. – distance from Casa Tambor: 2.5km. You can go by bus, by car or on foot (35 min. walk)
“Praia do Corumbe” different beaches in the bay of Corumbe with access to the beaches through restaurants. Go on the main road in the direction of Paraty for 1km, passing the first speed camera. You can either enter the first entrance “Bar pão a pique”, the next one “Restaurante Paulinho” or “Cheiro de camarão”. – distance from Casa Tambor: 1.5km. You can go by bus, by car or on foot (25 min. walk)
“Waterfall Graúna” is a beautiful waterfall with a big swimming pool in a rural village Graúna. It is a unique place, with a nice village, gorgeous nature and a peaceful waterfall. Go on the main road in the direction of Rio de Janeiro. Go 3km on the main road until the sign “Graúna”, then turn left. Go on 2km until the village of Graúna. Pass through the village to reach the waterfall. Ask for “Cachoeira” on your way if you are unsure. Park the car and walk for around 10 minutes. At Graúna there is also the spiritual “Ecovila Goura Vrindávana“ which you can visit. – distance from Casa Tambor: 6km. You can go by bus (bus named “Graúna”), by car or on foot (1 hour walk)
“Waterfalls Taquari” are beautiful waterfalls with nice hikes in the Sertão do Taquari. Go on the main road in the direction of Rio de Janeiro for 13km until the sign “Taquari”. Enter the village on the left and ask for “Cachoeira”. There are different accesses. – distance from Casa Tambor: 13km. You can go by car or bus (bus named “Taquari”/ “Sao Roque”/ “Mambucaba”)
Restaurants close to Casa Tambor:
- Restaurant “Quiosque Sao Francisco” at Praia Grande is a very good fish restaurant in front of the sea. Our favourite! Go on the main road in the direction of Rio de Janeiro (2km) until the sign “Praia Grande”. Go down to the pier and the restaurant is on the right on the harbor beach.
- Restaurant “Paulinho” at the beach Praia do Corumbe with a natural swimming pool. Go on the main road in the direction of Paraty (1,5km). Pass the first speed camera, go further and look for the sign “Paulinho” on the left. Go down to the beach and you will find the restaurant. There is parking.
- Restaurant “Cheiro do Camarão” at the beach Praia do Corumbe. Go on the main road in the direction of Paraty (1.5km). Pass the first speed camera, pass the entrance of “Paulinho” until the sign “Restaurante Cheiro de Camerão”. Go down to the beach and you will find the restaurant.
- Restaurant “Pão a Pique” at the beach Praia do Corumbe. Go on the main road in the direction of Paraty (1,5 km) until you come to the first speed camera. After the speed camera turn left onto a little road. Go forward until you reach the beach. Open only on weekends.
- Restaurant “Golfinho” on the main road BR101, right beside our road. Go down the hill and turn on the right. Walk 100m until the restaurant.
- Restaurant “Ditão” on the main road BR101. Good and cheap options and the only one open at night. Go on the main road in the direction of Paraty (2km). Pass the first speed camera. Just before the second speed camera, there is the restaurant on the right.