Casa Tambor is located in a rural and peaceful area, up a steep hill 50m above sea level and just 300m away from the main road. It is situated 8km outside of the UNESCO World Heritage town of Paraty and 2km away from the idyllic fisher village “Praia Grande”. Within 30 minutes walking distance (2km) there are 5 amazing beaches, along with restaurants (just open during the day), natural pools and viewpoints. You can reach these destinations by car, driver service (like uber) bus or on foot. You can find more tourist information here: http://casatambor.com/region/
The fishing village of Praia Grande offers: a grocery shop, a bakery, restaurants, fishmongers and a wonderful beach for swimming. There you can charter a boat and explore the most beautiful beaches of the Paraty bay, cross over to the neighbouring Island Araújo in 5 minutes or rent a canoe and paddle to isolated beaches.
During your stay at Casa Tambor, renting a car can be good for allowing easy and flexible access to local areas. You can rent a car either at the agency in Paraty (for around R$200 a day) or in Rio or Sao Paulo (prices from here tend to be cheaper).
If you like to be active and walk around, you can easily explore the area without a car. There are 5km-walk daytrips to beautiful beaches in the surrounding area. We can also help you out with transfers if you wish.
The bus stop is on the main road BR101, 300m away from Casa Tambor (down a steep hill!). There is a bus every 20 minutes in the direction of Paraty as well as in the other direction towards Rio. The bus ride takes 15 minutes to Paraty. Sometimes the bus can be delayed (just as anywhere in Brazil…).
We offer a transfer service to Paraty and pick-up service from the bus station, for R$40 per ride. A taxi/ uber from Paraty to Casa Tambor usually costs R$50.
Luciano, Katharina and our two sons live on site. We are available if you need any help or information. Katharina is originally from Germany and speaks English, German, Portuguese, Spanish and a little bit of French. If we are ever away travelling, there will always be somebody from our team available.
How to get around:
* the bus station is 300m down the hill, just where our road “Gaivota” meets the main road BR101
* buses and vans heading towards Paraty run every 30 minutes. You can hop on anywhere (hold out your hand out for it to stop)
* buses and vans heading in the other direction to “Mambucaba”, “Graúna” and “Sao Roque”, run every 30 minutes
* in Paraty you can find buses bringing you back named: “Mambucaba”, “Graúna” or “Sao Roque”
* at night (whenever it gets dark) it’s better to travel by taxi/uber
by taxi or uber:
Casa Tambor – Paraty: around R$50
* You can ask us to call the driver or to provide you numbers.
Casa Tambor – Paraty: R$40 per journey
Casa Tambor – Praia Grande: R$20 per journey
* Please ask us if you want to use our transfer service.
car rental in Paraty:
* Alugue Brasil – www.aluguebrasil.com.br
* LM- rent a car – www.lumarentacar.com.br